Friday, December 30, 2011

Crispy Shrimp Pasta

My addiction to Pinterest really is paying off...well, maybe not paying (as I seem to be doing a lot more projects/cooking a lot more recipes)...but it's broadening my horizons, at least.

I was on a search for a 'something special' dinner for the hubs' birthday and happened across this delightful recipe (found here). Not only was it superfantastically easy to make, and amazingly delicious...it was a very cheap date! Shrimp $5.99; pasta $1.09; cream $2.39; Cajun seasoning $4 (but now I have it on hand); chicken broth $1.88...total = $3.84 per serving (4 total).


Ingredients:

4 oz fettuccine pasta
3/4 lb raw shrimp (I bought the frozen kind)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning

*I doubled the recipe...just b/c I like left-overs. I don't know if it's b/c I did this, though, but the sauce was a wee-bit runny...so I just added a little corn starch to thicken. Worked like a charm.




1. Rinse and pat-dry shrimp, coat with 1 tbsp. flour (mix), add 1 more tbsp. flour (mix again).


2. Melt 1 tbsp. butter and 1 tbsp. olive oil in a medium-high heat pan. Add shrimp, cooking 2-3 minutes per side...until golden brown. The next time I make this tasty dish, I will cook the shrimp in 2 batches. I think I had too much in the pan, so it didn't get as crispy as I would have liked. It was still delicious...no worries.

3. Remove shrimp and set aside. Add chicken broth to the pan to deglaze...cooking about 5 minutes.

4. Add whipping cream, reducing pan to medium heat, and stir constantly...we don't want any scorching here. Sauce will become thick, bubbly, and delish!

5. Add Cajun seasoning...I used Old Bay...but there are a zillion to choose from. I'm sure any of them would be just as nummy.

6. Add cooked pasta to the sauce and toss in a few shrimpies. (I saved a few of the shrimp to add on top once it was plated.) Served here w/ a side salad...a perfectly hearty meal.

This recipe would surely be good w/ chicken instead of shrimp...I know not every one is a fan of the little critters (eww...is that gross to call 'em that??).

~Hilary~


2 comments:

  1. I just pinned this! It looks so yummy! Visiting from the Sunday Social. New Follower:>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish!

    Amanda @ lillys&Lollipops

    ReplyDelete