Monday, October 17, 2011

Cheeseburger Soup

Brrr....there's a chill in the air...finally! I have been soooo ready for Fall weather...and I think it's here! That can only mean one thing for this girl...time to hibernate. What exactly does that entail, you ask? Well, I have a pretty strict pattern I follow from year-to-year: come home and put on my jams, light some candles, and fix something tasty & comforting for dinner. Tonight, I'm fixing Cheeseburger Soup...my all-time fav! (technically, the soup is for tomorrow nite...I'm getting it ready ahead of time, though...)

Here's what you'll need to make this soup for yourself...and you'll want to, trust me...it's like a warm blanket for your tummy. :)

1 ½ c. water
2 c. cubed potatoes (I use frozen southern style hashbrowns)
2 small carrots, grated
1 small onion, chopped
¼ c. chopped green or red peppers
1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and chopped)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 T. beef bouillon granules
½ tsp. salt
1 lb. ground beef, cooked and drained (I cook mine in the bacon grease. Hey...I never said this was a healthy recipe. Although, I do sometimes use ground turkey...which is a wee-bit better...)
2 ½ c. milk, divided
3 T. all-purpose flour
8 oz. process American cheese, cubed
1/4 -1 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
½ lb bacon, cooked and crumbled 

*I use my small food processor to get the veggies ready...it kind of purees them...so you get the flavor, but the soup is still silky smooth...

*My other favorite tool to use is my Pampered Chef Mix N Chop...it makes browning hamburger, etc. so easy!

1. In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients: bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  (I add the cayenne pepper to mine during this step.)



2. Stir in beef and 2 c. of milk: heat through.
3. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth: gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil: cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
4. Reduce heat to very low and stir in cheese until melted.



5. Spoon yourself up some piping-hot goodness, top with some crumbled bacon, and...enjoy! :)


*Makes 6-8 servings (about 2 quarts)


2 comments:

  1. YUM! We had chili tonight, but I'm thinking we need to try your soup very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. marlakcarr@yahoo.comFebruary 22, 2015 at 7:32 PM

    Hilary,
    If I want to add dill pickles to this, how much do I add and how much juice? Your mom made it that way and said it was your recipe, but I don't see the exact amount. I think she thought she used too much when she doubled the recipe. I want to make it this week end.

    ReplyDelete